Friday, October 19, 2012

All I have is Yours!

James 4:10
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

I think that everyone needs to have a little splash of water to wake us up sometimes. Normal day-to-day stuff becomes so predictable and expected that we usually take these things for granted. I do a lot of that. It is then that God splashes a bit of water on my face for a wake-up call. All that I have is not what I have earned by my works. I don't deserve any of this. What I have is what God has done for me by His grace. So, when I start getting frustrated because the kids don't want to cooperate or because I can't get the house cleaned or even because I never seem to get to spend enough time with my husband, that's when I need to be humbled...again.
My kids - though they bicker and complain amongst each other and with me - are gifts from God. What if HE took them back??? My house is messy because my family is well clothed and fed and they have fun. What if we were broke and had to live in a box??? My husband works very hard to support all of us and I love and respect that man more than anyone else in this world. What if HE took him home (heaven)??? No one is perfect except for God, so no one deserves what they have.

Even little things like being able to use your senses shouldn't be taken for granted. But when I start thinking about these questions, it gives me a reality check real quick. We are not in control. God is. And HE can see fit to give us just exactly what we don't realize we're asking for: peace and quiet. The thought terrifies me. But it helps me to appreciate every day just like it is. Kids giving me a particularly hard time today? Smile, because if they weren't here, I would miss those moments terribly. Can't seem to get anything done in the house? Smile, because if all my attention was always on the house, my kids would be miserable. Not get to snuggle up next to my hubby? Smile, because he works hard to provide for our children's and our needs, and I should be glad to just be next to that wonderful man.

I am human and need to be reminded often that what I have is not what I have earned, but rather what God has blessed me with by His grace. I pray for all who read this that you can all have a splash of water too. It is humbling to realize that we can't control what happens in our lives and that the people and things in our lives were not put there by our means. Please take a few minutes and just pray. Thank God first of all for all you have, and then let God talk to you. Starting this morning, a little more than an hour ago, I am not taking my life for granted any more. This is something that I have been working on for a while, but God spoke to me so clearly this morning. No more excuses. That's almost too cliche to say, but it's true. I'm not going to make any more excuses about how everything is so bad. It can be bad. My life is good. Sweet, wonderful kids that don't like to do chores or take baths. A house that never seems to be clean. A wonderful, loving husband who does all he can for us even though sometimes it means a little less time with him. I am blessed. We all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment